audioFILE
(my audio weblog)

My current audio rig


I think it will help if I describe my current system before I start writing about sonic virtues of what I am hearing or what I’ve heard. At least, for those familiar, or had the listening experience with the component, will have an idea of what I am talking about. I will post my personal review of these components later and everybody is encouraged to send their 2 cents comments.

Loudspeaker: Soliloquy 5.0
Amplifiers: Primaluna Prologue Four, Dared VP20
Preamplifier: Audio Research SP16 (with phono stage)
Turntable: Thorens TD160B MkII
Arm: Linn Basic LVV
Cartridges: Grado Reference Sonata
CD Placer: Ultech UCD100 HDCD player
Power Conditioner: Shunyata Research Hydra 4
Interconnects: Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway MkIII, Luscombe Blue Reference Silver Cable LBR-35
Speaker Cable: Straightwire Waveguide
Power Cables: Shunyata Research Diamondback 20amp and 10amps
Audio Rack: Modified IKEA OPPLI

As you can deduce, this system is far from being called a true High End (whatever that term means) but it takes me there. I have two amplifiers because I cannot give up the voice naturalness of an EL34 and the sweet magic presentation of a low power 6L6 amp (too bad there are only a few 6L6 options available out there, I mean the 18 watter 6L6G "a" or "b" types and not the slightly high powered but pathetic "c" and KT66 types). I have the urge to write about my tube rolling experience now but I guess that will remain to be a topic of future post. Also, I have to flip Aimee Mann now so I have to go. Oh yes, excellent record by the way.

2 Responses to “My current audio rig”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    What you do on your audio rack to mod. I like this rack  

  2. # Blogger William

    I cut out about 4 inches of the 4 divider support to make the table lower. Being a previous magnepan owner I don't want anything between the two speakers. But due to space limitation I have to put my equipments in the middle. So to compromise I wanted a lower rack so that it will not affect the imaging and soundstaging. In my experience if you have a very low table it is the next best thing to having no table at all between the two speakers.

    I had the dividers cut at Home Depot. The height now is perfect to put my AR SP16 in the middle.  

Post a Comment



About this Site


This site is a log of my personal pursuit of audio nirvana.

Name: William
Location: Canada


Visit my Other Site: meltingPOT

Search

"Search this site for audio topics"

Previous Entries

Marketplace



XML


Counters by

Web Counter